Key Biscayne officials temporarily closed the Village’s popular dog park on Crandon Boulevard after reporting that a hazardous substance, believed to be rat poison, was discovered.
Village spokeswoman Jessica Drouet said some dogs are thought to have ingested the substance, but she said no animal fatalities were reported.
Join our mailing list. Click here!
The Village said the park will remain closed until the area can be made safe. The dog park, which opened in 2016 at a cost over $800,000, has areas for larger and smaller animals. Details of the exact location where the suspected poison was discovered were not immediately known, nor how the substance came to be located at the park.
Tony Winton is the editor-in-chief of the Key Biscayne Independent and president of Miami Fourth Estate, Inc. He worked previously at The Associated Press for three decades winning multiple Edward R. Murrow awards. He was president of the News Media Guild, a journalism union, for 10 years. Born in Chicago, he is a graduate of Columbia University. His interests are photography and technology, sailing, cooking, and science fiction.