The nighttime checkpoint at the entrance to Key Biscayne, in place since March 2020, is being removed effective tonight, according to an emergency order by Interim Manager Charles Press.
Press said that he decided that with COVID-19 vaccinations moving in the right direction, it was time to follow in the footsteps of Miami-Dade County and end the curfew that ran from 11:00 pm to 5:00 a.m.
“The island has done its due diligence and it’s time to slowly get back to normal,” Press said.
As of Monday, the state health department reported that 1.7 million doses had been given in Miami-Dade County. That’s about 40% of the population getting at least one dose, and about 25% getting fully vaccinated. The official state COVID-19 dashboard shows there have been 2,575 reported cases, about 20.6 percent of the resident population of nearly 13,000.
Press said that even though the pandemic curfew is ending, officials are ready to enforce a pre-existing curfew that applies to juveniles in the county.
“I fully intend to rid our streets of disruptive young people,” Press said. “Enough is enough. It’s a tool that I intend to use.”
Press has been serving as interim manager since January. Last week, the Village Council selected Steve Williamson, a former Army colonel, to become the new permanent manager, pending negotiation and approval of an employment contract. Press would then return to his job as police chief.
Tony Winton is the editor-in-chief of the Key Biscayne Independent and president of Miami Fourth Estate, Inc. He worked previously at The Associated Press for three decades winning multiple Edward R. Murrow awards. He was president of the News Media Guild, a journalism union, for 10 years. Born in Chicago, he is a graduate of Columbia University. His interests are photography and technology, sailing, cooking, and science fiction.