A Key Biscayne man was assaulted by a person who struck him with an unknown object after a heated argument Saturday, causing injuries so serious the man required hospital treatment, police said.
Police were still developing details and detectives were working the case aggressively, said police Sgt. Larry Muñoz. He said the altercation took place in the roadway near the 400 block of Crandon Boulevard, but details remained sketchy.
The incident left many island residents rattled, coming after a suspected arson at the Key Biscayne Beach Club in January and a series of thefts of golf carts earlier in the month by juveniles, some causing extensive damage. One felony grand theft charge case is pending in juvenile court with a May court date. Four other cases are charged as misdemeanor trespass.
Prosecution of youth cases has sometimes led to frustration, because the juvenile criminal justice system is aimed at rehabilitation and many records are sealed, except for the most serious cases. In a January alleged hit-and-run case, where police charged a 17-year-old Key Biscayne resident with felonies, a judge reduced the charges.
Angela Rizzi, a friend of the resident hurt in Saturday’s incident, said “my friends and I feel terrorized.” But she also said simply asking for more law enforcement is not enough.
“I don’t want to blame the police. I think it’s our problem as a community,” she said.