Key Biscayne Police arrested a fifth suspect Saturday in the alleged armed robbery of two boys earlier this week, a case that had much of the island on edge.
Police identified the final suspect as Lavare Holton, 18, who was charged with armed robbery with a mask, burglary, and grand theft. Chief Frank Sousa said Holton turned himself in to South Miami police and Key Biscayne police took him into custody.
Sousa said Holton gave “favorable” information to detectives but declined to provide additional details about the episode that took place early Monday morning, when police say the group drove onto the island by mistake. “They committed vehicle burglaries, and as they were exiting, they took the opportunity where they saw our two victims, and committed the armed robbery.”
Sousa talked about the case, his assessment of overall safety of the community, and his plans for changes in policing on the Anti-Social radio and podcast.
“I don’t have a reason to believe that Key Biscayne is a target for crime, or an easy magnet,” Sousa said. “If you come to Key Biscayne, and you’re going to commit a crime, we are not going to stop until you are taken into custody.”
Officers took Holton to the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center, where he awaits an initial court appearance. The other four defendants are all juveniles and are awaiting an initial disposition.
Sousa again praised detectives for their fast work in piecing together information to identify the five suspects. “We were able to build a puzzle together.” He also praised the two boys for not attempting to resist their assailants.
“They did the right thing,” Sousa said.